Star-crossed love: The Time Traveller's Wife

The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger

I'm not going to summarise the story, plenty of other reviews fill their spaces with that. I prefer to share a few thoughts that I have about it.

This is a very bitter-sweet story that at times (especially when the foreshadowing occurs, which it basically does all the time) can be quite a tear-jerker. You just know that it's not going to end that well for these two star-crossed lovers, Claire and Henry, that are constantly brought together and torn apart.

It's a very emotional book, but in the chick-lit sense of the word: I found that it had passages that were a bit too descriptive, a bit too focused on what the characters were wearing and doing at various times, and it made me almost loose interest in it. The phrase "show, don't tell" comes to mind. That is probably why I think that I prefer the movie better than the book (which doesn't happen that often), for it basically showed what the characters were going through and feeling (I have to add that the movie is very, very loyal to the book on a near page-by-page basis) with out too much talk and background flutter, if you know what I mean. If this book had been less descriptive it would have been a much more powerful read, at least for me.

I can imagine that The Time Traveller's Wife is one of those books that you can read over and over again and still get something new out from it, as it's a very layered book, but I don't think that I'm going to pick it up any time soon. I most likely will in the future though, for I did enjoy it immensely in spite of its flaws.

This review is being cross-posted on my blog, Booklikes, GoodReads and LeafMarks.