Zeus, Inc. - Robin Burks I've been asked by author Robin Burks to review her novel "Zeus, Inc.", and not surprisingly: I have agreed.

First of all I have to say that it was truly refreshing to read a fast paced novel like this one after the drawn escapade I've just gone through with Name of the Wind.

As a first novel, a début novel sparked by the annual NaNoWriMo event that I also tend to participate in from time to time, this books is a surprisingly good and entertaining read. It's filled with many good ideas that take you to a not too distant future where our main character, Alex Grosjean, works as a private investigator.

This book book succeeds in blending very diverse genres: science fiction, the detective/mystery story and Greek mythology. As diverse as these genres are, this is done quite well, I think. The book doesn't dwell too much into detailed descriptions of the futuristic world that Burks has created, which I think is a pity as I would l have loved to have learned more about it, had it been fleshed out more. Burks knows a lot about Greek mythology and it shows, otherwise this book could not have worked as well as it does.

The main character, Alex Grosjean, is well a developed and well-rounded character, though I do find her reactions and way of being a bit too immature at times (judging by her mothers advanced age -she is 80- this gal has to be in her 40s the way I perceive her, but she comes across as 20-something. Not that there is something wrong with 20-something, but the way the story is set up it seems wrong somehow). She has a history that haunts her, and that back-story is woven very neatly into the whole as her adventure progresses and events unfold. The supporting characters seem to be more superficial and 2-dimensional compared to Alex, and as such they make the story a bit weaker - the characters of Pip and Aleisha come to mind.

I have to me honest though. As I read this, I felt that I always was a few steps ahead of the main protagonist. The story was a bit too predictable for my taste, as the surprising"a-ha" moments we not much of a surprise to me, which I don't believe should be the case for any mystery story. But, depending on who the target reader is, feeling that you can keep up with the story can be a good thing I suppose.

Not that surprisingly for a NaNoWriMo novel, this book is self-published. I have to say that this book has gone through one of the best edits I have seen so far in a self-published book, and that elevates it a lot. There are little typos and inconsistencies here and there, a proper editor might have caught them, but they are certainly not distracting in any way, nor do they diminish the story.

So overall, yes, in spite of its flaws here and there this book is definitely something that you can read for your enjoyment and share with the younger generations as well, as it's neither too sexually explicit or violent. It's funny, it's quickly read, and it's a nice way to start reading about Greek mythology in a non-scholastic way.

Format read: ARC provided by the author.
Read: October 2012.