A Clash of Kings  - George R.R. Martin It has taken me about a month to read the sequel to George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones (AGOT). Like it's predecessor it's written in the same shifting 3rd person perspective, which I like.

It feels different to read this tome compared to it's predecessor. It went slower for me, somehow. The pace of the story telling is slower, even though there are countless battles - which are not always what I find most interesting, such as the maritime battles, but that is of course not due to the writing.

It's a good book, awesome actually, don't get me wrong, but for me it doesn't seem to reach the same heights as AGOT did. It seems to me that the grandeurof AGOT just isn't there any more. A character that I've come to like from the previous instalment is gone (Ned) and new ones have been added (Theon and Davos), and they don't seem to catch me in the same way. Though I have to say, that as the story progresses it is getting more interesting to read from Theon's perspective. I've had my fair share of "Oh my goodness!" and "Holy shit!" moments with this book as well - I just wish that they have been more frequent. I hope that the next instalment will be more to my liking - but that said, I do love this book and I can't wait to read the next!

Start Date: March 23rd, 2012