To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee Lee Today I finished reading the classic [b:To Kill a Mockingbird|2657|To Kill a Mockingbird|Harper Lee|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1361975680s/2657.jpg|3275794] and I'm glad that I finally got around to reading it. This classic story gives you a good glimpse of the racial stigma and inequalities of the 1930's USA, stigma and inequalities that to this date still, to some extent, are still present in current day society in the US of A. What makes it an interesting read is that fact that you are seeing events unfold through the eyes of a child, a white girl of the age of eight. This angle has a downside as well: it makes it a bit of a slow starter, as a lot of time goes into details that don't, as such, move the story forward as it should, but do of course flesh out the characters and the times a bit more - but was it really necessary? For instance, I honestly fail to see what the obsessive fascination with the reclusive neighbour Boo exactly does to push the story forward. But OK, that's just me, I guess. What I like a lot about this book is that it does not not try to be politically correct in any way - if it was, that would have ruined the story completely. Using words like "nigger" and "negro" serve a clear purpose, those who get upset over these words either don't get the point or are incapable of getting over themselves. Hurray for creative freedom! This book has certainly never hurt anyone, in fact, I believe, I has made (white) people more aware of the hardships that the black people of the US of had to (and still do) endure.

I wonder how the Gregory Peck movie is.

This review has also been posted on my blog.