Defiant Heart - Marty Steere This is Marty Steere's second novel, but for me this is the first that I'm reading after he kindly contacted me through my blog.

I was a little hesitant to read this book at first, partially because it contains a love-story, and love stories have, generally speaking, never been my biggest source of enjoyment. So I didn't really know what to expect of this book, but I agreed to read it, as its premise sounded pretty interesting, as it's set against the backdrop of World War 2, which, ironically, was not even the part that I found most interesting while reading.

What I did find interesting about Defiant Heart was that it is a moving multi-layered character-driven story. All characters are very well fleshed out and their actions, as their back-stories are revealed, make sense and make them appear as real people. From early on it makes you feel sympathy for the main protagonist, Jon Meyer, and utterly dislike the antagonist(s).

What surprised me the most about Defiant Heart, especially in the first half of the book, aside from been extremely well-edited, was that it touched up on topics that I didn't expect from it at first: teen-age bullying, anti-Semitism/racism, selfish parenting and so forth. That was a very surprising twist and it made the book a very interesting and also a very relevant read, as these issues are something that still poisons the society that surrounds us and as can be seen when reading the headlines in the news, as can be seen here and here.

This is definitely a book that is worth your time.

Marty Steere gracefully accepted to answer a few questions that I had for him, so please check out my author interview here.

This review has also been posted on my blog and on Amazon.